Swiss Steak, a Slow Cooker meal
This is an easy recipe to throw on in the morning, and have ready for dinner. Vegetable additions are flexible, so feel free to switch some out and in based on your preference.
Makes: 4 Servings
- 4 Minute Steaks
- 1 can tomatoes, diced
- 1 can gravy, beef
- 1 medium onion
- 4 medium potato, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 small rutabaga, sliced
- ½ lb green beans
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp basil, dry
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- (Optional) ¼ cup of red wine
1. Lightly flour the minute steaks, and very lightly brown them in a skillet – just enough to brown the flour.
2. Chop up onion and mix with garlic. Spread half along the bottom of crock pot, making a layer.
3. Place the lightly browned minute steaks on top of the onions, and cover with the second half of onions and garlic mixture.
4. Layer the chopped veggies (potato, carrots, rutabaga, beans) on top of the onions in the crock pot – order does not matter.
5. Insert bayleaf, and sprinkle basil over everything.
6. Pour the tomatoes and gravy over veggies at top.
6b)(Optional) Pour ¼ cup of red wine over everything
7. Cook 6-8 hours on low setting, or 4-6 hours on high (until veggies are tender)
Note: Remove bay leaf while serving.