We absolutely love this super easy soup! I have experimented with it a few times, and this is my favourite set up:
Makes: 13 x 1-cup servings
Calories: 213 per cup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 kg pack of frozen hash browns
- 3 cups milk (we use 2%)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chives, fresh and chopped
- 2 cups cream of corn (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. Add the chicken broth and hashbrowns into the crockpot and mix so all the potatoes are covered with broth.
2. Add all of your seasonings.
3. Cook on high for 5 hours.
4. Add cheese, milk, and corn (optional).
5. Cook on low for 1 hour, or until cheese and milk are fully blended and cheese is melted.
Other vegetables can be added to make more of a chowder, such as corn in this case. It is super yummy with or without the extra veggies. Enjoy!
Frugal Cost Breakdown (based on today’s Walmart.ca prices):
6 cups chicken broth – FREE if you make your own from chicken bones, otherwise $2/900ml = $3
1 kg pack of frozen hash browns – $2 for Great Value brand = $2
3 cups milk (we use 2%) – $4.48 for 4 L jug = $0.84
1/2 cup shredded cheese – $5.00 for 340g = $1.50
1/4 cup chives, fresh and chopped – FREE if you have it in your garden, otherwise $2 for a bunch = $0.25
2 cups cream of corn (optional) – $0.87 for full can = $0.87
Seasoning are only about $0.10 each, max, depending on how large in bulk you purchase your spices, so lets add $0.50 for arguments sake.
Total cost for whole pot of soup (depending on whether you make your own broth and grow chives): $5.21 – $8.96
Total cost per bowl (1 cup): $0.40 – $0.69
Super yummy and very affordable too – you can easily make a whole pot and freeze leftovers to have pre-made meals! Have suggestions to make this every cheaper? Let us know!