This is a super tasty dessert which can be matched with just about any meal. Not only is it cheap and easy to make, it is definitely a crowd pleaser. Best served warm, and topped with frozen yogurt!
Makes: 8 servings
Ingredients – Bottom
- 2 pears – sliced with core removed
- 2 apples – sliced with core removed (we used granny smith)
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp margarine
Ingredients – Topping
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
1. Preheat your oven to 375 F with the oven rack placed in the middle.
2. After slicing your apples and pears, mix in the lemon juice until all the fruit are coated – if you were unaware, the lemon juice help keep the colour in the cut fruit, preventing the browning you tend to see in most crisps.
3. Pour the margarine over the fruit mix, making sure everything is coated evenly. Place coated fruit into a 9 x 9 oven-safe baking dish.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the oats, sugar, margarine, flour, and cinnamon together until it forms a moist crumble.
5 Sprinkle the topping over the fruit in the dish and bake for about 45 minutes, until the topping has lightly browned and fruit is tender.
Other fruits can easily be substituted or added to this recipe – berries add some nice extra flavours and colour! We have also used blueberries and blackberries, and sometimes a combination of the three.