I was a little worried about trying this recipe out, as my husband hates mushrooms, but it turned out really nice, and he asked for a second serving! We portioned our freezer bags for 4-6 servings per meal, and this recipe makes 4 meals. You may need to adjust your numbers accordingly. This will be the same for each meal that I post. This chicken goes great alongside rice or pasta. You can add a steamed veggie for extra nutrition!
Makes: 24 servings
Calories: 365 per 140g serving
- 8 lbs of Chicken (boneless, skinless)
- 1 onion (medium), minced
- 3 cups of Shredded Cheese
- 3 peppers, red
- 4 cans of mushrooms
- 3 cans of cream of chicken
- 1 can of cream of celery
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 tsp of basil
- 1 tsp of oregano
- First, prep your chicken. I always give it a rinse after I take it out of the store packaging. While you can use this recipe with either whole breasts or cubed, I find it works best with cubes, and makes portioning easier. Cube up the chicken and place it into 4 large freezer bags with 2 lbs of chicken in each.
- Add all of the other ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Divide into 4 equal portions and add to each of the large freezer bags.
- Label bag and flash freeze for an hour so that you get a nice, flat, bag for easy stacking. Transfer to freezer.
- When it comes time to eat the meal, you can choose one of the following procedures for cooking:
- Use your oven – Bake covered for 120 minutes at 350F
- Use your slow cooker – Cook on high for 5 hours or low for 7 hours.
Frugal Cost Breakdown (based on 2016 Walmart.ca prices):
8 lbs of Chicken (boneless, skinless) – $3 per pound = $24
1 onion (medium), minced = $2 per 3 lbs = $0.33
3 cups (400g) of Shredded Cheese = $10 for 907g = $4.41
3 peppers, red = $1.47/lb = $3.68
4 cans of mushrooms = $1 per can = $4.00
3 cans of cream of chicken = $1.74 per can = $5.22
1 can of cream of celery = $1.74 per can = $1.74
1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese = $4.97 for 500g = $2.49
2 cups of chicken broth = $1.88 / 900ml = $1.88
2 tsp of basil = $0.22
1 tsp of oregano = $0.11
Total cost of recipe: $48.08
Total cost per meal: $12.02
Total cost per serving (based on 5 per meal): $2.00