This recipe was a delightful surprise! We portioned our freezer bags for 4-6 servings per meal, and this recipe makes 4 meals. You may need to adjust your numbers accordingly. This will be the same for each meal that I post. The sauce that this chicken is served with is amazing over pasta and with a side of garlic bread!
Makes: 24 servings
Calories: 242 per 300 g serving
8 lbs of Chicken (boneless, skinless)
4 onions (medium), minced
4 bay leaves
4 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of tomato paste
4 cans of sliced mushrooms
1 tbsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
4 garlic cloves
3 tbsp of italian seasoning
1 cup of cooking sherry
1. First, prep your chicken. I always give it a rinse after I take it out of the store packaging.While you can use this recipe with either whole breasts or cubed, I find it works best with cubes, and makes portioning easier. Cube up the chicken and place it into 4 large freezer bags with 2 lbs of chicken in each.
2. Add all of the other ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Divide into 4 equal portions and add to each of the large freezer bags.
3. Label bag and flash freeze for an hour so that you get a nice, flat, bag for easy stacking. Transfer to freezer.
4. When it comes time to cook the meal, you can choose one of the following procedures for cooking:
Use your oven – Bake covered for 60 minutes at 350F
Use your slow cooker – Cook on high for 3.5 hours or low for 7 hours.
Use your Electric Wok – Heat to medium, and stir fry until inside of meat is white and is cooked thoroughly (white meat with an internal temperature of 165F).
5. Simmer remaining sauce on stove top. Pour sauce on finished chicken and pasta, and enjoy!
Frugal Cost Breakdown (based on 2016 Walmart.ca prices):
8 lbs of Chicken (boneless, skinless) – $3 per pound = $24
4 onions (medium), minced $2 per 3 lbs = $1.32
4 bay leaves = $0.25
4 cans of diced tomatoes = $1 per can = $4.00
2 cans of tomato paste = $0.94 per can = $1.88
4 cans of sliced mushrooms = $1 per can = $4.00
1 tbsp of salt = $0.15
1 tsp of pepper = $0.11
4 garlic cloves = $0.45
3 tbsp of italian seasoning = $0.33
1 cup of cooking sherry = $2.97 for 500ml = $1.49
Total cost of recipe: $37.98
Total cost per meal: $9.50
Total cost per serving (based on 5 per meal): $1.90
Want to check out some more great chicken freezer meals? Check this page here.