Another question I get on a daily basis is “what are your personal recommendations?”.
Here are some approximate recommendations for how many diapers you will minimally need per baby, based on the age of your child when you start cloth diapering. Please note, the fewer diapers that you have, the more wear and tear you will have on your diapers, which will affect the condition the diapers are in when it comes time to sell:
- Newborn to 3 months old – 24 diapers and 24 inserts (using 10 – 12 diapers a day, this gives you enough for 2 days of diapers)
- 3 months to 6 months old – 24 diapers and 24 inserts (using 8 – 10 diapers a day, this is enough for 2-3 days)
- 6 months to 1 year – 18 diapers with 36 inserts (using 6 – 8 diapers a day, this is enough for 2-3 days)
- 1 year to 2 years – 18 diapers with 36 inserts (using 6 – 8 diapers a day, this is enough for 2-3 days)
- 2 years to potty training – 12 diapers with 24 inserts (using 6 diapers a day, this is enough for 2 days).
While there isn’t really a “maximum” amount of diapers you can have, you do need to be concious of how long the dirty diapers sit – they should not sit uncleaned for more than 4 days, as the urine can start affecting the PUL when sitting for extended amounts of time. Here are some approximate recommendations for “lazy launderers” (ie: ME!), or for a larger rotation, for how many diapers you should have (per baby), based on the age of your child when you start cloth diapering.
- Newborn to 3 months old – 36 diapers and 36 inserts (using 10 – 12 diapers a day, this gives you enough for 3 days of diapers)
- 3 months to 6 months old – 36 diapers and 36 inserts (using 8 – 10 diapers a day, this is enough for 3-4 days)
- 6 months to 1 year – 24 diapers with 36 inserts (using 6 – 8 diapers a day, this is enough for 3-4 days)
- 1 year to 2 years – 24 diapers with 36 inserts (using 6 – 8 diapers a day, this is enough for 3-4 days)
- 2 years to potty training – 18 diapers with 36 inserts (using 6 diapers a day, this is enough for 3 days).
Granted, not everyone will fit into these cookie-cutter suggestions (and if you would like a personalized recommendation, please send me a message!), but here are my favourite packages, and why:
1a. New Mom, First Time Cloth Diaperer, and No Cloth Diapering Gear
The last thing a new mom AND cloth diaperer wants (or needs) is stress and added problems. With this in mind, I specifically designed the 24-pack complete bundle for tight budgets and minimal financial strain. This is a one-stop shop, including diapers, inserts (and extra inserts if desired), wet bags, pail liners, overnight soakers, bamboo cloth wipes, and disposable liners…. this literally has everything you need to start.
The only extras you will need over the course of the following 3 years is:
- Extra inserts (most babies need an extra insert when they start sleeping 8-12 hours at night)
- Extra disposable liners (optional)
- New diaper prints that are irresistible (optional, but also a great way to save the shipping to get your order to $99!)
Fit into the lazy launderer category like me? I also have a 36-pack complete bundle available. This is what I use!
2. New Mom, First Time Cloth Diaperer, No Diapers, but Have Some Accessories
Have your gear already but just need some new diapers? Check out this 24-pack diapers only! You have the ability to customize between regular bamboo, charocoal bamboo, or a mix of both. You also have the option to double up on inserts, so you don’t need buy them later. This package comes with 24 diapers and inserts. There are smaller packages available if you have a couple cloth diapers already.
3. Multiple Babies in Cloth Diapers
If you are expecting twins, and are not sure where to start, check out this TWIN pack. It is basically 2 x 24 pack complete bundles, with an added discount. You have the option to double inserts too.
If you are wanting to cloth diaper baby #2, but still have a toddler in cloth diapers, the 36-pack would be an awesome fit, especially if you are thinking about potty training in the next year or sooner. This will also give you a larger rotation when baby #1 is finally out of diapers.
4. Purchasing a Gift for a Friend
This is always tricky, wanting to get the perfect gift for a friend without doubling up on something they already have. Why not get them a gift card that they can put towards their larger package? They can be combined, so your recipient can use multiple cards on a single purchase!
5. Experienced Cloth Diaperer but Just NEED Some New Prints
If you already have everything you need accessory-wise, and have all the inserts you want, we have an awesome little diaper-shells-only bundle for parents who just want to add some new colour or selection to their pre-existing stash. You can find the 6-pack bundle here. We also have a 12-pack available, if needed.
Need a recommendation on a situation not here? Please send me a message, or leave a comment and I will add it!